The purposes of the association are—
- To preserve the Mount Burnett Observatory for the benefit of the Society’s members and the community.
- To educate the public in the science of Astronomy, disseminate astronomical knowledge, and encourage the observation of the Universe.
- To provide facilities to support members of the Society in the practice and study of Astronomy, including astronomical research.
- To collaborate actively with other institutions and groups, to the benefit of the Society’s activities.
- To bring into closer association persons and institutions engaged in astronomy in order to cooperatively advance our knowledge.
- To pursue any other arrangements and activities conducive to the above purposes.